Pages

Friday, November 4, 2016

Leigh Square residency week 5

This week, I working in the smaller room at the front of the building. It's actually called the "Artist in Residence Room". It's a much more manageable space. I set myself up in front of the window and didn't feel like I was sitting in the middle of a huge empty cavern. There are morning classes scheduled in this room, but I'm thinking of changing my times so that I can use this space more. 

I made some good progress on my experimental rag rug weaving on the Salish loom. I got a start on the red fish that symbolizes Coquitlam.


I was in the smaller room because there were several school field trips this week that needed the big room. They made fish shaped lanterns, and I found out that in Chinese culture the gold fish is a symbol for good luck - adding another layer of meaning to my "red fish in the river" weaving.


I also got lots of help from the kids on the community weaving. They were all kindergarten and grade 1s, and I didn't have a lot of time with them, so I had 4-5 kids working together on the loom at a time - two working the foot pedals, two passing the shuttle back and forth and another one working the beater. It was quite chaotic at times. Ironically, I had chosen blue yarn. According to the colour chart that the children were given, blue represents calmness and relaxation. 


I also had visitors from Nicola Lodge, a seniors care home. None of the seniors wanted to try weaving, they preferred to watch. There were two grade 9 students with them (because it was "bring a grade 9 student to work day"), and they had a great time weaving and writing messages on tags that I will attach to the weaving.


I took a bit of a break from weaving and made some journal samples. One is for the "Junk Journal Snack Pack" kits that I have for sale at Muckabout Gift Gallery, and the other is a sample for a workshop on making a journal that I'll be teaching there in the new year.


On Thursday night I went to Muckabout's official opening and dropped of the samples. In addition to the Junk Journal Snack Pack kits, they also have some of my wrist cuffs for sale in the store.


I'll  be teaching a few workshops there before Christmas:

Express Yourself" Art Journaling:
November 11 or 25, 6:30-8:30 pm $25 each session including supplies and materials.

Freestyle Weaving: Make a Scarf in a Day
December 3, 10am-4pm, $160/person, including the use of a loom and all materials and supplies
Grand Opening SPECIAL: sign up with a friend and you each pay $120.

Register at the store: 4759 Hastings Street, Burnaby (at Gamma - next door to the Pizza Hut).

No comments:

Post a Comment