Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Clay and fibre


I've been experimenting with making woven jewelry recently and I thought I'd see what would happen if I mixed pottery with weaving.

This is the first finished piece. In typical SAORI style, I had no idea how it would turn out. I just made decisions as I went along, First I made the clay shape with the holes along one edge. Later I chose the glaze colours. When I sat down to weave, I picked some matching yarn colours that were sitting on my work table. Even as I started weaving, I didn't know how the shape was going to emerge. I remained open to what was happening with the weaving and instead of feeling that the piece was somehow "wrong" because it was pulling in as I wove, I just went with it and made it a "feature". I'm really happy with the end result.

I'm looking forward to having the next pottery bits come out of the kiln so that I can play some more.

I've also made lots of pendants strung on sari silk ribbons. I think these will become gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment